Free Graphics Programs
Here are a few programs that are alternatives to MS Paint. They work similar but have more (and better) features which are closer to Photoshop and Paint Tool Sai. However, unlike those programs these are free to use. You can download those two for the 30 day trial but after that you must pay.
- Sumo Paint
- Paint.net - Download required.
- Fire Alpaca - Download required.
- Gimp - Download required.
- Deviantart Muro
- Click herefor a method to get rid of that white pixeled look when using the fill tool in Paint with PNG files.
- Body/face part 1
- Body/face part 2
- MH Tutorial part 1, 2 , 3 and 4
- MH Style Eyes in Paint Tool Sai
- MH Style Lips
- MH Face
- Male MH Face
- Skullette Tutorial
- Profile Tutorial
Remember to credit the artist who posts these backgrounds and read and follow their rules for use.
- Hallway 1
- Hallway 2
- Hallway at night
- Hallway at night2
- School Front
- Hallway 3/Cabinets
- Auditorium Stage
- Bell Tower
- School Bus
Please remember to credit the original artist when using these backgrounds as they spent many hours working on them and deserve the mention and praise for their creations. Please also remember to respect their hard work and not treat them like a base by altering them. Always read the individual artists rules for using bases and be sure to follow them
- Classroom (from Substitute Creature)
- Hallway with stairs
- Coffin Bean
- Home Ick Classroom
- Day at the Maul
- Gloom Beach
Profile and Other Resources
As always, credit the original creator and read and follow their rules for use.
- Profile for Paint
- Profile for Photoshop (also works in OpenCanvas and SAI and Gimp)
- Profile decals
- Fan-Made decals
- Locker Base
- Bookmark/Plush Base
- Basic Box Base
- Diary Base
- Journal Base
- Skull Base
- iCoffin Base
- ID Base
- Wallpaper Base
- Fearbook Base
- Gloom Beach Logo
- School's Out Student File Base
- Dead Tired Checklist
Lists for Inspiration
- Wikipedia has a list of legendary creatures, sorted into types.
- Encyclopedia of Beasts and Monsters in Myth, Legend and Folklore By Theresa Bane is a great book with descriptions of many monster species. However, you're going to need to use the search bar to bypass the preview limit.
- Curious Creatures In Zoology by John Ashton offers some info on several interesting cryptids.
Tricks for a better character picture:
- For a closed eye, just remove the eyeball and bottom eye line on the character's face so all that is left is the top of the eye, where the eyelashes are. This is good for use on Dead Tired poses, or winking.
- To get the eye wider, just lower the bottom of the eye and extend from there. Then remove the iris and pupil, then construct one of your own and put it where it suits the character best. Don't forget to add a small white dot for further accuracy.
- Showing shine on lips is easy to do - just put lighter colors further in and darker colors on the outskirts. And remember to put a white line on the bottom lip to show further reflection.
- It's best to keep the mouth at the same width.
- Outline the character's body with a darker shade of their skin tone.